British Standards Institute (BSI) has announced New specification on minimum performance requirements and test methods for community face coverings is now open for comment until 1 February 2021.
Please note that this specification is not applicable to PPE or medical face coverings, nor does it address DIY coverings or transparent face coverings.
The new specification is designed to help UK manufacturers, testing houses, retailers and consumers to ensure single-use and re-usable face coverings are safe and fit for purpose. It is intended to become a consensus of good practice and some PSS members may be interested in submitting feedback on the new specification.
The new specification aims to provide:
- minimum performance requirements for manufacturers with regard to filtration and transmission, and use of materials.
- general information on single and multi-use face coverings, plus cleaning requirements for multi-use coverings
- a method of test for testing houses, and
- reassurance for retailers and consumers.
Further details are provided on the attached PDF.
To have your say on the BSI specification
- Follow the link below to access the BSI page.
- Follow BSI contact instructions and submit your comments directly.