Over a dozen ports contribute to Leading and Lagging Health and Safety Indicators which are anonymised and combined into the PSS Dashboard. This allows members to compare their own immediate performance against the average. Viewing the dashboard is restricted to those members who contribute their data to it. To submit port statistics or to request access please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Dashboard includes
- safety alerts shared - demonstrating cooperation within industry and evidencing that ports do NOT compete on safety
- workforce hazard observations per employee - showing the participation of all employees in the management of health and safety where the goal is for everyone to be a safety leader
- average sickness absence - showing the health position of the industry - health is sometimes the 'silent partner' in health and safety and we are determined to better understand and manage health risks at a sector level
- Lost Time Injuries per 100 employees - showing the ratio of accidents to people employed, a figure that has dropped by 60% in the last 20 years but is on a plateau and needs to be driven down
- Severity and RIDDOR reportable injuries - showing that RIDDOR and high (actual or potential) severity are not always the same thing. That organisations can better understand how to control risks by looking at their operations in more sophisticated ways than whether or not the incident was RIDDOR reportable
- Accident Locations - showing that port injury hottest spots continue to be: Berths and Quays, on board Ships, on Roads/Vehicles and Marine (afloat)
- Immediate Causes - showing that the most likely port injuries come from: Slips/Trips; Driving; being Hit By vehicles or objects and Manual Handling
- Non Lost Time Injuries per 100 employees - showing that there are lower impact underlying injuries also occurring in ports that should be understood and managed
the most likely port injuries come from: Slips/Trips; Driving; being Hit By vehicles or objects and Manual Handling
What you get if you contribute
Every organisation that contributes to the industry Dashboard will receive their own bespoke Dashboard which they can use to benchmark themselves with the industry average.
You can use our industry data to better understand your own risk profile and how it agrees with or differs from the wider port community.
You can use our industry data to better understand your own risk profile
Because UK port organisations are managing risks, no one organisation has a large enough data set to predict wider industry trends. Many in fact have zero accidents in a typical year. It is only possible to see valid patterns and to corroborate your own risk focus by combining cross-industry data.
This unique understanding exists because PSS can collect and analyse everyone's data in confidence.
The more organisations that contribute, the better the understanding will become. If you are not already participating we invite you to contact us at email@example.com and learn how to get started.