PSS has three categories of membership: full, training provider affiliate and affiliate. PSS’s membership year runs from 1 January to 31 December, membership for those organisations joining part-way through the year are calculated pro rata.
All members are provided with the following core services relating specifically to the ports industry:
- Regular information on a wide range of topics including regulatory developments, accident and prevention measures, skills and standards issues and publications
- Free attendance at the three yearly meetings of the Port Skills and Safety Group
- Availability of PSS organised training courses and events
- Access to technical advice on health, safety, skills and standards issues in the ports industry. Members can either talk to a staff member or submit an enquiry by email or fax
Full membership is open to those organisations concerned with the management and running of ports and terminals, and those carrying out operations in ports. Examples include harbour authorities, port companies, terminal operators, stevedores, and labour suppliers. In addition to the core services detailed above, the following opportunities are open to full members:
- Involvement in consultations on key strategic issues
- Opportunities for involvement with standing work groups (eg container handling) and special work groups (eg timber handling)
- Input to the development of industry guidance and access to resultant publications
The cost of a full membership to PSS is based on the number of people employed. Find out about our current membership costs.
Download our member joining form.
Consultant and Training Provider Affiliate
Consultant and Training Provider Affiliate membership is open to training providers and consultants providing services to the ports industry. In addition to the core services, the following service is open to training provider affiliate members:
- Details of services added to PSS’s fully searchable database of training providers which may freely be accessed by all enquirers via the PSS website
Although, at present, PSS does not accredit training providers or consultants, it acts as a network to put other members and the general public in touch with them.
Affiliate membership is open to those organisations working closely with the ports industry, but not eligible for either full or Consultant or Training Provider Affiliate categories of membership. Affiliate members receive the core services. Affiliate membership fees to PSS are set by the PSS Management Committee.
Download our affiliate member enquiry form